Hatchards Bookshop was founded by John Hatchard in 1797, and holds three Royal Warrants. It is a beautiful five-storey bookshop on Piccadilly, located next to Fortnum and Mason and opposite the Royal Academy. Many authors come in to sign their new books at Hatchards, ensuring an excellent choice of new signed first editions. Hatchards hosts an inspiring calendar of events, including a wonderful Christmas Customer Evening, when some of the year’s best authors come to meet customers and sign books and a major Spring Authors Party where the shop invites two to three hundred authors to Champagne and Canapes.
We are looking for an experienced bookseller to join the team with a focus on planning and delivering every aspect of the events programme. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who wants to take a leading role in shaping the experience that Hatchards, and its associated shops, offers its customers and authors and would suit someone passionate about books and live events with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be the primary organiser of public events at Hatchards Piccadilly and its associated branches
- Alongside private launches and stock signings, establish a regular series of customer-facing events
- Oversee every aspect of the events process, including ordering and returning stock; close liaison with publishers, the ordering team, and Hatchards back of house team; booking external venues as necessary; introducing authors on stage; managing a team of booksellers as necessary.
- Be an integral part of the management and bookselling team to create an events programme that is an extension of the various shops’ bookselling focus.
- Explore opportunities to link up with publishers and other organisations to use the shop as a venue to host events.
- Identify the authors Hatchards customers want to hear speak, and compose written pitches to publishers.
- Promote events via social media and online; explore links with television and radio; ensure booksellers are equipped to speak with customers about the events programme; use the shop’s space to display promotional materials;
- Set up and run bookstalls at outside venues; partner with and organise the bookselling for local literature festivals.
- Carry out evaluation to continually improve the customer proposition and to measure the success of the programme.
- Work as a bookseller on the shopfloor as required.
- Flexibility: the role will involve working evenings and weekends where required
- Experience of devising and implementing projects, from planning to delivery, ideally in an events environment
- Has been involved with the organisation of customer facing events
- Excellent organisational skills, the ability to manage multiple projects at one time and work to tight deadlines, often in a fast paced environment
- The ability to think logically, to implement plans and timelines and follow them through
- Outstanding communication skills to enable effective communication with colleagues at different levels internally and externally.
- A good knowledge of Hatchards’ local literary landscape and traditions: book festivals; competitor activity;
- An ability to work well alone, as well as being able to lead a group of booksellers
- A good eye for detail and the ability to write and proof-read marketing copy and publisher pitches
- A familiarity with, or interest in learning about, different social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and how these can be used to reach an events audience
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 23rd July 2018