Publicist/Senior Publicist – Yale University Press London
Permanent, Full Time
Salary according to experience.
Salary Range: £24,000 – £30,000
Yale University Press London is looking for a Publicist/Senior Publicist (dependent on experience) with a minimum of 2 years’ working in book PR to join our trade communications team. Reporting to the trade communications manager, in this pivotal role you would be responsible for securing coverage for a wide ranging list that includes history, philosophy, current affairs, economics and popular science. Identifying and reaching core readerships for our books will be at the heart of everything you do.
Originally founded in New Haven Connecticut in 1908, Yale University Press has a unique position as the only American university press with a full-scale publishing operation in Europe, publishing serious non-fiction that contributes to a global understanding of human affairs. Our diverse and prize winning list includes, Richard Holloway, Clive James, A.C. Grayling, David Rieff, Julian Baggini, Geoffrey Parker, Terry Eagleton, Yasmin Khan, Amanda Vickery and Zeynep Tufekci.
- Building and maintaining good relationships with UK press contacts
- Creating and adapting publicity plans
- Drafting press materials
- Liaising with authors
- Pitching for coverage in national print, broadcast and online media
- Pitching and managing author events in a variety of settings
- Working with the other members of the trade communications team to plan and implement integrated comms campaigns that maximise the impact of press coverage
- Effective cross-team working with art comms and academic marketing teams where required
- Regular liaison with Editorial and Acquisitions in both our London and New Haven offices
- Managing campaign administration
Person Specification – Key Knowledge & Skills
A proactive self-starter with excellent communication skills and an eye for identifying an effective pitch, you will have experience running publicity campaigns for a demanding list of authors and view effective team work as a hallmark of your success.
- An in-depth knowledge of the UK press
- Superb copywriting skills
- Strong project management skills
- 2+ years’ non-fiction publicity experience or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills
- Adept at using Microsoft Office
- Experience of using Gorkana
- Experience of using Adobe Creative Cloud
What We Can Offer:
Yale University Press London offer a generous package of benefits including accommodation deposit and travel loans, a cycle purchase scheme, a lively social scene and a generous pension scheme. As co-organisers of the annual Bedford Square Arts Festival, our staff enjoy access to the Bedford Square gardens at lunchtimes throughout the summer months.
The role will be based in our offices on Bedford Square in Bloomsbury WC1, with convenient access to the Northern and Central lines as well as many bus routes.
Yale University Press London is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We value, promote and seek diversity.
Processing and safeguarding your data – Please see YUPL’s candidate privacy notice: https://www.yalebooks.co.uk/pid/page/jobs
Please send your CV and supporting covering letter (including availability, notice period details and current salary) to:
Robert Owen (Head of People & Office Operations) email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 24th August