If you want to work for a publisher with a difference, we want to hear from you!
Do you know your vloggers from your reality TV stars? The sporting heroes of the moment to the best-selling music artists? We work with them all. Can you juggle press on an A-list celebrity campaign one minute and work on a hard-hitting real life, true-crime story the next?
Kings Road Publishing is looking for a capable, adaptable, experienced publicist with at least 5 years’ experience to join a hard-working team and work on non-fiction book campaigns. This Autumn we’re publishing greats like Roger Daltrey, Lily Allen, Gary Barlow, Freddie Flintoff and Michael Carrick, among others.
A role at Bonnier Publishing is an opportunity to be a part of a different story. Everything we do is underpinned by our group values; we live and breathe them in everything we do.
Summary of Position:
The candidate will be responsible for planning, coordinating and delivering strategic and creative publicity campaigns for allocated titles across the King’s Road Publishing adult non-fiction list. You will juggle numerous campaigns at one time but focus on the priorities for the lists, including but not specific to: Blink Publishing, Lagom, 535 and John Blake Publishing. The aim is to achieve the best possible media coverage leading up to and beyond publication, working closely with social media, marketing and editorial to ensure all campaigns are succinct and deliver maximum sales. Constant communication with sales team, editorial team, authors and agents is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure continuous dialogue between author/talent/agent and personal PR’s on campaign progress
- Read early proofs of each title to draw out key themes and create a PR plan and serial notes with editors
- Coordinate and approve proof covers for advanced proof copies
- Draft press releases for Trade and Media to announce key titles
- Maintain strong relationships and ensure continuous dialog with Book Editors, Features writers, TV Bookers and Radio Producers about our releases
- Pitch for and secure author profile slots across Press, TV & Radio around publication
- React to current news stories and pitch our authors as talking heads
- Coordinate author signings/talks/Q&A’s across retailers and pitch for author talks and appearances at relevant Literary Festivals
- Coordinate longer-lead press days with authors ahead of book publication
- Accompany author on PR media and book signing tours
- Prepare confidentiality agreements for each book to send to media when required
- Pitch for and negotiate serialization deals to run pre-publication across the National Newspapers
- Coordinate and manage book launch events – to include guest list/media coverage/food/drink etc
- Ensure comprehensive PR updates on each publication are sent to sales team
- Work closely with PR Director and support across their campaigns when required
- Manage PR budget across your campaigns
- Report in fortnightly Key Titles Meetings
What we’re looking for:
We are looking for a candidate with at least 5 years’ experience managing PR and publicity campaigns, either working on commercial non-fiction book publishing or from within the entertainment industry. The ideal person will be very self-motivated, a good communicator, steady under pressure and good at juggling priorities.
You’ll be taking the reins on campaigns already underway, as well as starting from scratch on big campaigns for this Autumn. You’ll need to be fast, fun, full of energy and ready to roll your sleeves up and get stuck straight in.
2018 is going to be very exciting as we publish some of our biggest titles yet so you’ll be working on the campaigns for major celebrities from the music, sports and showbiz industries, as well as quirky gift books, health, cookery & lifestyle books and real life/true crime.
If this sounds like your perfect role, we would love to hear from you. To apply please send your CV and cover letter to Karen Browning (Karen.email@example.com) by 30th March 2018.
This is a 12 month contract covering a period of maternity leave, starting late July or August 2018.