We are delighted to announce the winner of the PPC Award for the first quarter of 2017. The submissions were judged by Alice O’Keefe of the Bookseller.
Winner: Katie Brown (project manager) & Phoebe Swinburn (assisting) of Headline for One Pound Meals: Delicious Food for Less by Miguel Barclay
Alice said: This quarter saw some very strong submissions, notably for debut crime fiction, but Katie (with support from Phoebe) ran a truly standout publicity campaign for this cookery book from an unknown writer who is not a qualified chef.
The campaign was extremely wide-ranging, encompassing pretty much every publicity channel you can think of but to pick out just a few of the stand-out features of this campaign:
- Successfully managed the author’s potentially tricky background (he is a self-made millionaire who did not start making his £1 meals out of necessity)
- Obtained serialisation in the Sun Fabulous magazine and following that, major coverage in an impressive number of national newspapers and magazines
- Excellent use of social media
- Organised an author event at Borough Market (negotiating the space for free!) to demonstrate that cheap meals do not have to mean poor quality produce or low animal welfare standards
- Devised the concept of a One Pound Christmas which gained significant coverage (and even ended up in the book)
Highly Commended: Jenny Platt (Michael Joseph) for Felix the Railway Cat
Alice commented: Newcomer Jenny crafted a thoughtful, local and targeted campaign without the co-operation of the author which achieved a great deal of press coverage. Bravo.