Princeton University Press: Publicist or Senior Publicist
Location: Woodstock, Nr Oxford
Deadline for Application: 09 April 2021
Princeton University Press seeks a motivated, detail-oriented, and experienced Publicist or Senior Publicist to join the European Publicity team in Woodstock, UK. The person appointed will report to the Head of Publicity (Europe) and will work closely with the European marketing team as well as with colleagues in the Princeton, New Jersey office.
Key tasks will include
- Developing publicity campaigns for 35 – 40 scholarly and trade non-fiction titles annually, including: identifying audiences and media outlets for assigned titles; researching and building media lists and contacts; writing press releases and other publicity materials; and pitching interview, op-eds, and feature stories.
- Planning author events and tours, including festival appearances.
- Participating in seasonal media calls to present the PUP catalogue.
- Tracking and disseminating media hits, including supplying relevant copy for promoting book reviews and author events, interviews, and op-eds across PUP’s social media channels.
- Working collaboratively with PUP’s digital marketing and sales teams to identify and develop pitch, messaging, and key marketing points for integrated book campaigns.
- Managing author relations for assigned titles, including chairing author publicity planning calls
- Represent publisher at author, industry and academic events
- Participate in key Press marketing department and cross-departmental meetings.
- Prior experience of independently overseeing book publicity campaigns, with a demonstrated history of securing media coverage for books and authors.
- Established relationships with media and venues.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with editorial, sales, and marketing departments.
- Excellent writing and organization skills and comfort communicating with colleagues in different job functions and at different levels, including working with PUP colleagues in international offices.
- Proficient with of Office 365, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and comfort cloud-based platforms.
- Knowledge of Cision or a similar publicity database is highly beneficial. Experience with Salesforce beneficial but not required.
- Willingness to travel to London, and possibly travel outside the UK, for seasonal media meetings and author events.
- For a publicist role, applicants should have a minimum of three years book publicity experience, with a minimum of two years’ experience independently overseeing book publicity campaigns. For a senior publicist role, candidates must have a minimum of five years of book publicity experience, with a minimum of four years independently overseeing book campaigns.
- Enthusiasm for collaboration, and commitment to professional codes of conduct which the Press’s may be accessed at https://press.princeton.edu/about/mission-values
This is a permanent position. It is based at Princeton’s European office which is in Woodstock, just north of Oxford. The office is accessible by car, bus, and bicycle from Oxford.
Princeton University Press is an independent publisher with close connections, both formal and informal, to Princeton University. Our fundamental mission is to disseminate scholarship (through print and digital media) both within academia and to society at large.
The main offices of PUP are in Princeton, New Jersey. PUP Europe is based in Woodstock outside Oxford. It is a small office comprising editorial staff, the International Rights Department, the Audio books team, and the European publicity and marketing teams.
Salary: Depending on skills and experience. PUP offers a full range of supporting benefits.
To apply: please email a CV and covering letter, plus current salary details and notice period to Kate Farquhar-Thomson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 9 April 2021.
Princeton University Press is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Salary expectations between £26,000 (Publicist) to £33,000 (Senior Publicist) depending on experience.